Friday, September 21, 2012

Three Part Harmony: An Interview With Angel Payne




Dasha Moore commands the world’s stages as one of pop’s reigning stars, but finds her ultimate joy at the feet of David Pennington as his willing new submissive. In one night, her charismatic career manager becomes the Dominant of her body as well -- and the owner of her heart.

David is blown away, in all the good ways, by discovering D’s submissive streak. He can’t wait to brand her deeper with his domination, but a lunatic fan has other, deadly plans for Dasha.

Consumed with keeping Dasha safe, David gives the FBI a full-access pass for their investigation, headed by Special Agent Kress Moridian, a guy with an unnerving protective streak. David’s initial instincts about Kress are accurate: the agent is another Dom, and his definition of “full-access” includes Dasha herself. Being shared with Kress is a new tune for Dasha, but she finds herself loving its rougher strains -- and she begs David for their three-part harmony again.

But while her Doms make her body sing, Dasha’s heart and soul are torn. And what will happen to their song when they finally find the madman who wants her dead? Worse: what happens if they don’t find him?




The Interview:


1. How did you first get involved in writing erotica?

I thoroughly point the finger at Shayla Black. We've been friends forever; we started writing historicals back in the 90's together. I dropped out of the industry for a while and she kept writing. When my fire for writing got lit up again, I first tried a YA novel--and it sucked. (I mean, it SUCKED.) I was distraught. Shayla kept nudging me to join her on the dark side, insisting my kinky side was always what made me a great historical writer. I wrote about 5 chapters of an erotica, and it placed really well in a bunch of contests. By then, I realized that Shayla was right!!

2. BDSM erotica is my absolute favorite. What draws you to write about it?

I am fascinated by the dynamic of Power Exchange. It's a spiritual, magical thing. To think of someone willingly giving up their control, but seeing that as the ultimate power in what you can give to a person...it's kind of amazing. It really turns BOTH partners into the one with the "control," bound by having to be completely present and aware and in tune with each other. Potent, powerful stuff. I am also lucky enough to be in the lifestyle with my amazing Master and husband. On our weekends away, it's a movie, dinner and play club time. *Smile*

3. Most people have limited exposure to BDSM erotica and often
misunderstand the balance of trust between the Dom/Domme and sub. Tell us a little about that, especially in your book, Three Part Harmony.

What a GREAT question. You're so right. Most people see this as an instrument of abuse. And don't get me wrong--Power Exchange in the wrong hands can BE abuse--but with awareness, we've seen the rise of good education that Doms and subs can get about being in tune with each other. YES, the responsibility rests on both sides, too! The sub is just as responsible for seeing to the needs of her (or his) Master following a scene and aftercare. But I'm digressing. I think the key point here is that D/s can be seen as the portal to amazing communication. When you break down walls, often by having that intense physical release of the dynamic, you can both move forward as people.

That's what I attempted to communicate in Three-Part Harmony. At the beginning of the story, Dasha is stuck. She won't move forward with her dad and she's miserable because of it. David uses his Dominance, and his love for her, to break her free from those walls. Of course, Kress's "helping hand" is also a nice incentive *snicker*. As the story progresses, David is inspired by Dasha's courage to move past his own personal sticking point: his estranged relationship with his brother.

Just like any other choice in life, D/s is something that has to be wanted and needed by both parties. For me, it's not just about great sex. It goes WAY beyond that--and I hope my writing keeps communicating that, too.

4. Supreme pizza or club salad?

As much as I'd love to say pizza, I do love me a good salad, too. And it's better for the ass; you know? *chuckle*. But since I live in So-Cal, we have an awesome chain here, Z Pizza, that makes a killer vegan pizza with soy cheese. If I have to indulge, I'm happy I have Z on the speed dial.

5. Beer or martini?

After a hard work out? Beer. After a hard play session with Master? Martini.

6. I loved the Brazilian waxing scene in Three Part Harmony. What a scorcher! The nipple piercing part was absolutely stellar. Where did that idea come from?

Literally...my imagination! But thank you. I'm hoping Laurelle will be able to "guest star" in future books. I kind of like her. I think it might even be fun to see her as a submissive. I don't know if SHE'D agree with me, however. *Smirk*


Dasha

7. What are some of your favorite erotica authors?

Okay, get ready for a tome here! I tend to gravitate toward the people who write like me, with a crapload of emotion and drama. Without a doubt, Shayla Black. It's more than the fact that I'm friends with her. The work and the thought she puts into each character...their quirks and their weaknesses, their strengths and their characteristics...SO inspiring. I'm waiting on pins and needles for Xander's book next year! I'm a fresh fan girl of Eden Bradley. I'm alsmost done with "Fallen Angel"; it's wonderful. And her novella, "Sanctuary," was one of the best embodiments of D/s that I've ever read. I'm also passionate--PASSIONATE--about the worlds that Cherise Sinclair creates. Those Men of the Shadowlands...**MAJOR GIRL GROWL**! I have a lot of enthusiasm for many sisters of mine on the Loose Id imprint, too: Cari Silverwood is wonderful, as well as Doreen DeSalvo, Sindra van Ysell, Amber Lin and J.A. Rock. 

8. Tell us a little about what inspired you to write Three Part
Harmony and where you are going with your writing.

I worked in the music industry for quite a number of years. It's familiar ground for me. And I thought it might be fun to set an element of danger against this glitzy, glamorous world. (All right, all right, it gave me a chance to write a heroine with a terrific shoe wardrobe too, okay?)

I'm excited about where things are going! Though I don't see myself writing a series, I guess that's what a lot of people are calling it. It's more organic than that for me. I get fascinated by the direction or quirks of a character when I write them, then they just sort of sit up and demand that I write a book about them.

After Three-Part Harmony, I fully intended to write the book for Josh, David's brother. But Josh and his two co-stars just were NOT talking to me. The person who did speak up was Mark Moore, Dasha's dad. I loved how he had the courage to admit he was wrong, and to make amends with Dasha. And I seriously LOVED how he stood up to his psycho-bitch chief of staff at the end of Three-Part Harmony, too. He started to morph into my favorite kind of hero: scarred, tortured, lonely. At the beginning of his book, Permanent Marker, he's been mourning his wife for four years. He knows it's time to let go--but how? It's really wrenching! I can't wait for him to be happy--and I think I've given him a heroine who can do that.

The book following Mark's story is called Star Of Wonder. It's a fun holiday mash-up book that starts on Veterans Day and ends on Christmas Day. The star is Dante Tieri, Mark Moore's best friend. He is one tall, gorgeous drink of Italian alpha man goodness!

After THAT...I am hoping to write a three-book series of US Navy men! Once you read Star Of Wonder, you'll pretty much be able to pick them out.

9. What is one thing you want readers to get from your work?

I just hope that they're transported to a different place for a while. I have always loved romances, and love-love-love that feeling of "falling in love" all over again each time you read a new story. You could say I simply never outgrew being boy crazy. If I can create heroes that create that "swoon effect," then I'm happy.

10. What is the spiciest scene you have ever written?

It was a piece from Three-Part Harmony that we had to edit out. It involved Kress taking his new domination of Dasha to a pretty extreme level. As I looked at it in revisions, I realized...whoa, she'd never consent to this right NOW. Yes, I out-spiced myself!! LOL. (Teeny spoiler: I have a scene in mind for one of the military boys' books, in a cave in a foreign country, that's going to peel your toe polish off.)


 David and Kress

Other fun and optional questions... I LOVE THEM!!


11. If you were going to train a sub, what would you do first?

The key element between any Dom and sub is trust. There has to be some kind of period where you work up to a level of trust with a person that they'll be all right with you physically restraining them. This occurs in many forms. It can be simple blindfold scenes, or other instructions that take the subbie beyond their normal parameters of comfort. 

12. Which one is your favorite? Flogger, cane or single tail whip?

Wow. Depends on where my emotional space is at. Canes are hard for me. I'll take them, but only in small doses. I LOVE anything involving a flogger. Master and I took a Florentine flogging class this Spring at a convention, and my love affair grew. They smell so good, and their impact factor is wonderful--the sound, the drama--for getting me to subspace. We have a pair that was custom-made, with the handles inserted with lead counter-weights to balance from the falls, so they are AMAZING to whirl around! Whips are also a favorite--but that's because my Master knows how to use one properly. Using a whip on a submissive, to further a D/s scene, is NOT like what you'd imagine. It's not Indiana Jones! It's a treatment that has to be dealt with subtlety, because the pain radiates. A little goes a LONG way.

13. Menage BDSM is so hot! What inspired the playroom scene?

Again, my fantasies! I just thought about how cool it would be to have this big ol' Antebellum mansion outfitted with a secret BDSM dungeon. I tossed in some Scarlett O'Hara sass, and mixed thoroughly. I also knew I had to create a place that pulled Dasha completely out of her comfort zone--into a fantasy world, so to speak--so she was forced to throw aside all of her inhibitions and let these men take her completely. In short, it's just kind of what I'd love to do if I had these two guys at my fingertips! Bwa ha ha!


Thanks so much for joining me on the blog today Angel! What a fun interview and I can't wait to read your next book!


What I Loved:

If you want a book to hook you in the first moments, you have to try Three Part Harmony. The glitz of the music world really radiates with Dasha as a performer and David as her manager. When things get way more personal and Dasha becomes involved with David as his sub, I couldn't put this book down. Especially when someone threatens Dasha and we meet the incredible agent Kress. Yummy.

Yes...I would actually plant myself for hours reading. Some days that is hard to do with 8 blogs (some under my real world name), a music review job (another reason I loved this book), writing projects of my own, a full time job, a family and well...life. Speed reading is a hobby, but this one I savored page by page and I just sat there hugging my e-reader when I was done. Ummmm.

The creativity and life experience really shines through in every BDSM scene and the voice of the book really works well.  

If you are looking for humor, a well crafted plot line, sex scenes that will curl your toes and keep you up nights, then you need to add this one to your TBR library.




Website: www.angelpayne.com
Twitter: @Angelpaynewrtr
Facebook: Facebook.com/Angelpaynewrites
Pinterest: Pinterest.com/angelwrites

Hi there! I'm Angel: weirdo, pop-culture geek, hopeless romantic, and totally OCD writer. I'm so glad you've found me, and I hope you like my stuff. It truly comes from my heart.

I've loved reading all my life, and have been writing nearly that long, too. I think it started when I penned an 80-page novel about a time-traveling family for a 5th-grade school project. You could say I was hooked. In middle school, I moved to the hardcore stuff: the paragraph-at-a-time "swap-stories" with all my besties. (C'mon...don't lie...you remember those too!) Needless to say, the stories featured lots of French kissing, mindless groping and angsty drama - but I knew I'd found a niche when I was invited to participate in several more swap-stories on campus.

Some years, various entertainment writing gigs and a half-dozen historical romances later, I discovered the world of erotica - and home. (Not to mention a great place for all that angst I never gave up.) I love this genre - change that to love this genre - and hope my stories speak to your heart as well as your blood pressure, as well as your courage to explore new things and express your truth in beautiful new ways.

And where do I do all this? Well, if you ask my hubz, he'd likely say "on another planet," especially if I'm in story-brewing mode! The rest of the time, I live in Southern California with him and our gorgeous child, where I'm abnormally interested in travel, coffee, wine, shoes, super heroes, fetish wear, ridiculous pop culture trends - but most of all, hearing from fellow readers and erotica lovers like you.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!