Monday, March 16, 2015

Tethered by Pippa Jay

An Unexpected Christmas Present Called Inspiration

Hi, I’m Pippa Jay, author of scifi and the supernatural with a romantic soul. Inspiration can be a wonderful thing, but can hit at the most inconvenient times. You know, like just as you’re going to sleep, or in the middle of the night. When you don’t have a single thing to hand to write with, except perhaps the kids crayons and a napkin. I’ve even written down story notes with my eyeliner because I literally had nothing else to hand. Getting a mobile phone meant I would often end up sending several texts to myself because an idea hit when I was out and about, and now I thank technology daily for my wonderful smartphone that even made it possible for me to compose a 17K novella while away on holiday. ^-^

There are certain days I’m not supposed to be writing. Weekends are designated family time, and we have a (reasonably) strict no technology rule. Of course, we don’t always stick to it (psst, don’t tell my husband!). I shouldn’t have been writing on holiday, but since we were sitting on the beach and the kids were playing, I think I got away with it!

But Christmas 2011, inspiration decided to play a mean trick on me. As hubs was busy cooking Christmas dinner and the kids sorted through the presents they’d opened, muse saddled me with the irresistible urge to start writing a far future adventure story with a succubus-like assassin. Argh! Throughout the day, I took whatever few moments I figured I could get away with to sneak upstairs and scribble notes (it being back in the days when I still hand wrote a lot). Pretending to fetch things from bedrooms, change a top, go to the bathroom, bring down presents or take some to put away. Whatever else, at least I earned stuffing my face with Christmas dinner after all those trips up and down the stairs all day! And my family never guessed.

Somehow I managed to get about five thousand words down that day. That one day of the year when I really shouldn’t have been working. The result of that inconvenient flash of inspiration was my scifi romance Tethered, born on Christmas Day. I guess maybe it was muse’s present to me. Fortunately, muse has never been that cruel to me since.

What was the most inconvenient time or place that you ever got inspired?

Blurb:
She can kill with a kiss. But can assassin Tyree also heal one man’s grief, and bring peace to a galaxy threatened by war?

For Tyree of the Su, being an assassin isn’t simply something she was trained for. It’s the sole reason for her existence. A genetically enhanced clone—one of many in Refuge—she’s about to learn her secluded lifestyle, and that of all her kind, is under threat by a race capable of neutralizing their special talents to leave them defenseless.

For Zander D’joren, being a diplomat has not only cost him his appearance, but also the love of his life. Scarred, grieving, he must nonetheless continue in his role as co-delegate to the fearsome Tier-vane or risk a conflict that could only end one way.

Now both of them need to keep each other alive and maintain a perilous deception long enough to renegotiate the treaty with the Tier-vane, or throw their people into a war that could wipe out Terrans and Inc-Su alike. But there’s more at stake than humanity, whether true or modified. Can the love growing between them save them both? Or merely hasten their destruction?

Buy links:

Print coming 24th March - watch for pre-order at Breathless Press! Add it to your Goodreads TBR here – https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22085149-tethered
Sign up to my no-spam newsletter to get updated on the latest releases, giveaways and special offers. Exclusive snippets and stories coming soon! http://pippajay.blogspot.co.uk/p/newsletter-signup.html

Bio:

After spending twelve years working as an Analytical Chemist in a Metals and Minerals laboratory, Pippa Jay is now a stay-at-home mum who writes scifi and the supernatural. Somewhere along the way a touch of romance crept into her work and refused to leave. In between torturing her plethora of characters, she spends the odd free moment playing guitar very badly, punishing herself with freestyle street dance, and studying the Dark Side of the Force. Although happily settled in the historical town of Colchester in the UK with her husband of 21 years and three little monsters, she continues to roam the rest of the Universe in her head.

Pippa Jay is a dedicated member of the Science Fiction Romance Brigade, blogging at Spacefreighters Lounge, Adventures in Scifi, and Romancing the Genres. Her works include YA and adult stories crossing a multitude of subgenres from scifi to the paranormal, often with romance, and she’s one of eight authors included in a science fiction romance anthology—Tales from the SFR Brigade. She’s also a double SFR Galaxy Award winner, been a finalist in the Heart of Denver RWA Aspen Gold Contest (3rd place), the EPIC eBook awards, and the GCC RWA Silken Sands Star Awards (2nd place).

You can stalk her at her website, or at her blog, but without doubt her favorite place to hang around and chat is on Twitter as @pippajaygreen.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting!